• Facebook - White Circle
  • Google+ - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Yelp - White Circle


Administrative law in the United States deals with the agencies that are created specifically to administer certain governmental programs.  Administrative law governs the agencies, commissions, and boards that interact with the public, generally in the form of some sort of public benefit that has been terminated. For instance, when a family’s food stamp benefits are terminated because of a supposed programs violation, there may be an administrative law dispute.


There are many instances in which administrative law may have been violated. Unemployment commissions, workers’ compensations boards, the Social Security Administration, the Equal Opportunity Commission, licensing agencies, and labor commissions are all agencies that deal with the public.


In administrative law, agencies have a board, commission, or some other tribunal or body that deals with matters related to whatever regulatory schemes that agency deals with. These are dealt with in a special court known as an administrative court. These courts are generally composed of experts in that field.


There are three common areas in which individuals may find themselves in administrative court:


1.Regulatory Cases – This area involves challenging a policy or a rule that is created by the agency. For example, if the Environmental Protection Agency creates a new rule that conflicts with your business, that would be considered a regulatory case.


2.Entitlement Cases – This area deals with public benefits like worker’s compensation or disability benefits. If certain benefits have been denied, you can make an appeal to the proper administrative court that will determine if the denial was justified or not.


3.Enforcement Cases – When someone has violated an agency’s regulation, the agency that enforces that regulation may bring a case against that person in court.


If you believe that you may have an administrative law dispute, please contact Levine Lyon & Eisberner LLC to have your case examined.